Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Channeling my Grandma

And no I'm not sitting here drinking a martini and partaking in cocktail hour (although I should be)!
In keeping with my goal of learning how to cook/preparing something new every week last night's task was preparing a roast beef. This is one I was a little nervous about seeing as how I spent a decent chunk of change on a nearly 4 lb. piece of meat and didn't want to screw it up!!!
Now, what does this have to do with my grandmother you ask?
Besides being the Queen of cocktail hour and delicious appetizers she could rock an AMAZING roast beef!
Under the guidance of my Mom my task began, and I'll be honest literally this is was of the easiest meals I have prepared!
To give the beef itself a little something extra I found a rub which I coated the meat in after I spread some margarine all over it.
I placed the meat in the oven and let it go for an hour, checked the temp (I knew it wouldn't be done yet) before I set it off to cook some more I melted a little butter and mixed some of the rub into it, brushed it over the meat then placed in back into the oven for another 45 minutes.
At this point the meat was at the perfect temp, so I brushed some more of the margaine/rub mix on top and we covered it with a dish towel for a few minutes until we were ready to eat.
When it came time to carve it up I'm happy to report it was PERFECT!
Not only did it make a delicious dinner last night it also made very yummy sandwiches for lunch today!!!
So I know that last night my grandmother was looking down and raising her martini glass to me :-)

No comments: