Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Quiche!!!

So one of my new goals is at least once a week to make something new and delicious for dinner (I have 2 weeks of previous experiments and recipes to post on a slower blog day!!!

Last week I decided that this week's challenge would be quiche, since I have never made one.

My first step was to find a recipe that not only I would like but would also be a fan favorite for the fam! I of course went to my favorite recipe webiste (http://www.myrecipes.com/) and searched for quiche. I found a couple on there that looked good, however being my grandmother's granddaughter I altered them! Here are the recipes for both (the altered versions of course)


Bacon, Ham, & Swiss Quiche:

6 - Eggs

1 1/2 Cups of Half & Half

1 - 9" Pie Crust

1/2 Lb. Cubed Ham

1 - Pkg. Cooked Bacon

1-2 Cups Shredded Swiss

1/2 Cup Chopped Onion

1/4-1/2 Cup Chopped Cilantro


1 - Cook Bacon & Chop

2 - Beat Eggs

3 - Add Half & Half to Eggs

4 - Add Onion, Cilantro, & Bacon to Egg Mixture

5 - Place Pie Crust in Dish

6 - Sprinkle light layer of cheese into pie crust

7 - Put Ham on top of cheese

8 - Pour Egg Mixture of top of Ham

9 - Top with remaining cheese

10 - Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, or until done (to test if done stick toothpick in center and when you pull it out and nothing is sticking to it that is how you know it's cooked all the way)


Crab Quiche Florentine:

12 oz. Crab Meat (in small pieces)

1-2 Cups Mozzerella Cheese

1/2 Cup Onion (chopped)

1/4 Cup Garlic (minced)

*Tarragon

*Nutmeg

*Old Bay

*Pepper

1 - Cup Evaporated Skim Milk

6 - Eggs

*Spice Quantities are subjective, add as much or as little as you want


1 - Saute Onions in butter or margaine for roughly 4 minutes

2 - Add Garlic saute for additional 2 minutes

3 - Add Tarragon, Nutmeg, Old Bay, & Pepper and saute for 2 more minutes - Set aside

4 - Beat Eggs

5 - Add Milk to Eggs

6 - Place pie crust in dish

7 - Sprinkle light layer of cheese into crust

8 - Place Crab Meat on top of cheese

9 - Pour Egg Mixture on top of cheese

10 - Top with remaining Cheese

11 - Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until done


I'm happy to report that both quiches turned out AWESOME!!!!!! Personally I like the crab one a little better than that ham & cheese, but both were delicious. Everyone went back for seconds! I guess the sign of a good meal is the lack of leftovers!!!!





No comments: