Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hit, Drop, Run

Hit, Drop, Run - sounds simple right?
In preparation for the upcoming T-ball season Lilly and I have been spending quite a bit of time outside learning the basics. Already she can hit and throw the ball quite well - we're still working on catching.
Today while we were outside it occured to me great, she can hit the ball but does she know what to do next. Of course this is just something I kinda took for granted having played many years of softball and of course being an avid baseball fan and watching my fair share of games.
So today's big T-ball lesson was Hit (the ball), Drop (the bat), and Run (to first (our first base was a dust pan, but you get the idea)).
So after we got our home plate and first base positioned just right we began practicing this little drill. First I showed her what I meant when I said Hit, Drop, Run. She then tells me ok Mom I got it!
Not quite, she hit the ball, thought about it for a minute, dropped the bat, and then started running. I'm sure you're thinking that sure sounds like she's got it to me. Well she started running toward the ball that she had just hit. Not exactly the goal. It was extremely hard to keep a straight face because it was so the stereotypical first time base-runner scenerio and here it was in my own front yard. Not wanting to laugh at her and discourage her I managed not to laugh and explain to her what she needed to do one more time.
So back to the T we went and after we checked our feet position, hand position, shoulder position, and gave the ball a good stare down we were ready to try again. I stood back held my breath and watched as she hit the ball, paused for a second, and took of toward first base.
This was better, we're making improvements, however carrying the bat down to first base is not good and might scare the poop out of some little kid playing first during a game to see another excited little kid running towards them with a bat.
So back to the T we went and I reminded her of the ever imporant step of dropping the bat. She looks at me and gives me that ok Mom I've got it this time face.
So I sauntered back to my position in the lawn and watched her check her feet, check her hands, check her shoulders, stare the ball down, take her swing and.......................................
She hit the ball, dropped the bat, and took off toward first!!!!!!!!
To ensure this was not a fluke we did it several more times and each time she did it perfectly!
Days like today always make me smile!!!!

No comments: