Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thank You Kia


I'm sure you all remember those random commercials leading up the SuperBowl with the life size Mr. Machine, Sock Monkey, and a couple other toys. The commercials didn't make a whole lot of sense until the main commerical at the Super Bowl.

During the commercial we see the toys as toys after their big night out in the Kia where they felt like life size people partying like rock stars.

Ever since Kia aired this little gem of a commercial Lilly got the sock monkey stuck in her head and she wanted one. Great! I'm not joking (I actually wish I was)! I thought it would pass, one of those random requests that after about a week will just go away - no such luck because as you all know once a commercial airs during the SuperBowl it then airs quite frequently.

So last week I decided how hard could making a sock monkey be, really? The first task was trying to find some sort of pattern or how-to guide. Well thank goodness for Google not only did I find a step-by-step guide with pictures there were also several how-to videos on You Tube. I'll be honest some of the videos were pretty funny!

Once I determined that this was something I could do I took Lilly to the store to pick out some socks in which to make her sock monkey. Now this was a process there were soooooooo many pairs of socks in sooooooo many different colors. Lilly would pick one pair, walk down the aisle some more, then find another pair she liked better. Finally she settled on a pink & red argyle patterned pair. Then we had to pick out some buttons for the eyes! After our sock experience I simply took her to the small craft section at WalMart where there is one rack of buttons instead of taking her to Joann's where there is a HUGE aisle of them!! Smart move on my part! She decided after careful reviewing to go with some pink flower buttons.

We got home from the store and I got busy! I made the first cut on one pair of socks and sewed up the legs and my sewing machine broke! This is status quo for projects though something that should take 5 minutes takes and hour and something that should take a couple of hours takes 3 days. So for the rest of the night I worked on sewing Miss Sock Monkey (it's a girl because the socks are pink) I continuted to work on the monkey while we watched TV that night, the next night, and again the following night. Man, did I miss my sewing machine, but I was bound and determined to finish it for Lilly!!!

Well after 3 nights of sewing limbs, and eyes, and a mouth, and even adding some pink hair Miss Monkey was finished. Lilly LOVES it! Which when it comes down to it is all the matters! Seeing her smile makes everything ok!

No comments: