Monday, March 15, 2010

Pulled Pork

 Greetings from the chef!

So this week's "make something I've never made before" task was Pulled Pork (I think you probably could have guessed that from the title of this blog!)
So once again to start I searched my favorite recipe sites, and my good old trusty friend google. A recipe I saw mentioned caught my attention was one that called for Jack Daniels whiskey (anything with good whiskey can't be bad right?) Well it took some digging but I did find a good recipe (one that I will include in the blog)
Never having made pulled pork I had no idea what to expect. I made sure I had all my listed ingredients, then I had to finda good pork shoulder - which I did! Thank goodness Top Foods was having an awesome meat sale!
Since this was something completely new to me I wanted to follow the recipe exactly (alterations can always be made at a later date, however this recipe was so good I probably won't need to). I had lot of fun making this for some reason. Another plus with this recipe the whole time it's in the slow cooker the house smells AWESOME!!! I had everyone's mouths watering all day (including the dogs)!!!!!

Here's the recipe:
1 Onion (chopped fine)
2 TBSP Garlic (chopped fine)
1 TBSP Tomato Paste
2 TBSP Dijion Mustard
1/4 Cup White Vinegar
1 TSP Paprika
1/3 Cup Ketchup
2 TSP Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 TSP ground black pepper
1 Bay Leaf
3 LBS Pork Shoulder Roast
First thing you do is combine ALL ingredients (except the meat) into the slow cooker
Once they are all mixed you drop the meat in
Cover the meat with water
Place the lid on the slow cooker
Bring to a boil
After it boils reduce to a simmer
Let simmer for 2 hours (I actually let it simmer for almost 4)
Take meat out
Take roughly 1/3 of the liquid out
Pull meat apart and place back in slow cooker
*I actually did vary from the recipe on this part*
The recipe said to let it stay in for an hour, then serve, I however added a some Jack Daniels BBQ sauce and let it sit for the rest of the afternoon (another 3 hours) then all day the next day before we had it for dinner that night. Added a little bit of BBQ sauce every once inawhile for some flavor.























No comments: