Monday, October 22, 2012

Friendship Blinders

How many of us have had a case of these?
Where you are so focused on trying to make a friend want to spend time with you and simply be your friend that you don't see the hell they are putting you through.
I've done some friend-purging lately - some not entirely my choice but maybe it's for the best.
Once my blinders were lifted I couldn't believe all of the things I didn't see before. Friends do not treat people like the piece of dirt stuck to the wad of gum that is on the bottom of your shoe!
Blinders didn't allow me to see so many things; phone calls that should have happened when my Dad had a health scare over the Summer, Lies being told about Sean & I that would eventually cause me to question Sean's faithfullness to me and my trust in him, understanding why I'm not around as much has nothing to do with feelings and everything to do with my daughter and hers, not to mention trash talking my life choices behind my back while supporting them to my face.
We are not in high school anymore, life is to short for friends who thrive on petty bullshit drama. Friends that feel the need to put you through hell and back for their own amusement is like the unpopular girl getting picked on my the cheerleader - who needs that kind of relationship? I am a Mom, and a wife - these are my priorities not trying to so hard to make a friend want to spend time with me that I neglect the other things in my life. When I became a mother and then a wife those "duties" because top priorites in my life. Being there for my daughter and husband have to come first and having a friend who can't see that and only sees what they want to is not having a friend at all!
A true friend is what lifted my blinders, a friend who is my friend because they cared about me, and not only me, but my entire family. It made me remember what it was like to have a truely wonderful friend. A reminder of house easy friendship is supposed to be, I don't need to impress, I don't need to jump through hoops, and I don't need to be a person I don't want to be.
Life is hard enough between raising a child, being a good wife, fullfilling all my committments, and taking care of a house I don't need my friends to be a challenge.
My advice is take the blinders off, really examine your friends and the relationship you have with them. Are they making you work for your friendship or do they just simply love you. If you have to work for it, it's not friendship!

No comments: